Monday, August 7, 2006

Berger Paint Color Shades

2004 Dog Day Afternoon. Sidney Lumet.

say almost without question that all the films of bank robberies are as regards this film.

Yesterday I saw a piece of Swordfish, which had seen long ago and were putting on TV. It was the bank robbery scene, when the hostages have a bomb strapped around his neck collars. Instinctively I compared that with Dog Day Afternoon. The comparison was devastating, of course. I just go fuck theft that of Travolta, who had to take an army and wear necklaces enterito pump, while the poor Pacino, leaving him alone and entered the bank and he owned the place, and also had the support of all its hostages. By referring to something newer still, is the Hidden Plan of Spike Lee, where the "brother" makes a popcorn movie that I really liked, and no big deal, it amused me almost 2 hours and that, now , it is very rare.

End of elevation. The movie deals with a bank robbery by three thieves, who remain two guns straight out because you run away. Those two are Pacino and John Cazale (Fredo in The Godfather I and II and Stosh in The hunter), almost nothing.
But we can speak of a single protagonist because Pacino, a man "peculiar" problem, which aims to give the Sunset, is a good guy, the kind that looks for the good of all and which realizes the little people pointed a gun. Thus, at 10 minutes and is a colleague of the entire bank, and 20 would it gain the friendship of the public gathered outside around the media circus mounts, mostly because it will provide money and says things that nobody dares to say.

This movie talks about it, the power of the media. The fickleness of the mass and the American dream. I could say that the movie is a gripping thriller but I'd be lying, is a simple drama about the frustration of a nobody. And everything takes place almost entirely in the branch, one of those branches of American banks with their sickly black security officer, their old desks and other clichés seventies.

Here is the proof of everything I say. TV Newsman

 
But I mean, why do you Need to
steal? Could you get a job? SONNY


Get a job doing what? You gotta be
a member of a union, no
union card - no job. To join the union,
you gotta get the job, But you do not get the job
Without the card. TV Newsman


What about, uh, non-union
occupations?

SONNY
Like what? Bank teller? What do
they get paid -
(now looks over at
girls who offer the
information - $135.37)
... they pay one hundred thirty-
five dollars and thirty-seven cents
to start. I got a wife and kids.
I can't live on that -- You want to
live on that? What do you make a
week?

TV NEWSMAN
(swiftly, evasive)
I'm here to talk to you, Sonny, not
...

SONNY
Wait a minute ... I'm talkin' to
you. I'm askin' you a question ...

TV NEWSMAN
The audience is interested in you,
Sonny ... not me.

SONNY
Yeah! We're hot entertainment,
right? You got me and Sal on TV ...
we're entertainment you sell, right?

TV NEWSMAN
You're news, Sonny ...

SONNY
How much you have to pay an
entertainer to fill this slot?

TV NEWSMAN
Newsman, not ...

SONNY
Okay, newsman. How much you make a
week?
(beat)
You're not talkin'. You payin' me?
What have you got for me? We're
givin' you entertainment ... what
are you givin' us?

TV NEWSMAN
What do you want us to give you?
You want to be paid for ...

SONNY
I don't want to be paid. I'm here
with Sal and eight other people ...
and we're dyin'! They're gonna
blow our guts out, man! You're
gonna see our brains onna sidewalk!
How's that for all you shut-ins and
housewives to look at! You gonna
help, or you just put it on instead
of AS THE WORLD TURNS? We're dyin'
here! What have you got for me?

TV NEWSMAN
You could give up.

SONNY
Oh yeah? Give up? You ever been
in prison?

TV Newsman
Of course not ... SONNY


Then talk about somethin 'you
fuckin' know about ...

at That instant, the TV screen switches to a
PLEASE STAND BY card and we hear an announcer's voice over:

ANNOUNCER (VO)
Ladies and gentlemen, Our
transmission
Has Been Temporarily interrupted. Please stand by.



And all with a voltage and a pithing on the characters as the film progresses you remain mesmerized waiting for more and more. And then exit and you say ... I laugh at the American dream.



Note to those who have seen it : on the secret that reveals the character of Sonny, near the end, which breaks the film into two and gives a flying kick in the mouth of the beholder, I say hats off to Lumet for daring to portray a character without taboos or half measures. Plated.


rating: 8

0 comments:

Post a Comment